Search This Blog

Sunday, September 12, 2010

The Trick Is In The Processing

Cubed Venison & Veggies
I love to cook wild game!  Some people tell me they just can't eat it because of the wild taste. Some folks say they soak it in this and marinate it in that and then they dip it in something else just to get rid of the "wild taste".  You don't have to do all that! The main thing you have to remember if you do your own processing is to clean it properly. You have to remove the thick blue/white layer of muscle that is where your wild taste is.  That is also what makes some of it so tough.  If you use a good deer processor they will remove that for you.  We have our deer processed in three ways.  Ground, which you can use just like ground beef.  Cubed steak,  that usually helps to add tenderness.  I sometimes sprinkle just a little meat tenderizer and some garlic powder, then I fry it.  Remember when you are frying wild game that you want to get your skillet or grill hot and cook it fast.  Sometimes I pour a can of mushroom soup over it to make a great gravy.  I have the tenderloin/backstrap cut into very thin slices. I like them cut thin to fry for breakfast.  Again cook it hot and fast.  Hope this helps you to enjoy a great venison meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment